Social media is the best platform for you to be connected with your friends and family. However, it is critically important for you to understand the best way to protect your personal information on the social media platform. We understand that everyone should have more control over their personal data on Facebook. Thus, we offer our users helpful and simple features to protect their personal information. Below are some tips and trick for Facebook users to be more vigilant in protecting their personal data:
- Do a Security Checkup regularly
You can use Security Checkup to review and add more security to your account. Security Checkup will help you to:
- Log out of Facebook from unused browsers and apps: easily log out log out of devices you haven’t used in a while or forgot about, so you’re only logged into Facebook on the devices and browsers you approve.
- Get Login Alerts: If you turn on this feature, Facebook will send you a notification or email alert if someone tries to log into your account from an unfamiliar device or browser.
- Learn how to protect your password: The strength of your password is more important than how often you change it. Don’t use your Facebook password anywhere else online and never share it with anyone. You have to also avoid using your name or common words as a password. Your password should be difficult to guess.
2. Turn on Facebook’s extra security features
Two-factor authentication is an industry best practice for providing additional account security. It provides an extra security step whenever you login from a new device. Facebook will send a notification or email with a special code to complete the login process.
Recently, Facebook has updated its two-factor authentication feature. Today, when you sign up for two-factor authentication, we walk you through the process explaining how it works and offer you the option of a text message or an authentication app such as Google Authenticator or Duo Mobile to generate login codes. You can easily access two-factor authentication in your Settings page in the Security and Login section.
3. Review the apps connected to your Facebook account
If you use Facebook Login to log into apps with your Facebook account, you have to periodically review the apps you have connected to your account. This helps ensure you’re only connecting your Facebook account to apps that you trust and use regularly.
Simply visit your App and Website Settings page on Facebook to review all of the apps that you’ve connected to your account. You might find some that you don’t really use anymore — and you can easily disconnect these apps from accessing your Facebook account using the controls on the App and Website Settings page.
4. Get to know your Activity Log
If you’re constantly wondering that you posted or Liked something accidentally, Activity Log will help your mind at ease. Your Activity Log includes all your Facebook activities, organized by the date they happened. This could include posts you’ve liked, posts you’ve commented on, friend requests you’ve accepted, check-ins or photos you’ve been tagged in, etc. Keep in mind only you can see your Activity Log. By default, your activity log shows your activity from the current year, starting with your most recent activity. Click on a year (in the top-right corner) to jump directly to that time. It’s a good idea to check in on your Activity Log regularly, so you will be aware if there are any suspicious activities. You can easily find your Activity Log in the bottom-right corner of your cover photo.